Sunday, November 28, 2010

DIY: Foot Pedal


 2-pedal USB foot controller by Infinity: $55 + S&H here

For some time now, I've been shopping for a cheap PC foot controller.  I figure,

my toes aren't doing anything useful while I play and I could take the strain off my right hand, if only I had keys at my feet.  

I could assign things like:

  • Auto-run
  • Travel form
  • Macro: 'target last hostile' + 'use loot-a-rang' for auto-looting with one toe
  • Speak over Ventrilo
  • Mount / dismount
  • Cooldowns (barkskin, nature's grasp, etc.)
The uses are many and varied and it's not hard to see the appeal of being able to run around a quest with one hand and one foot, rather than with two hands.

So, then came the real challenge: I've got an extra keyboard laying around;

couldn't I just construct my own USB foot control, out of a few household items, rather than dropping $50-100 

for something that would function identically?

Items you will need:
1) An old keyboard
2) Duct tape
3) Box-o-springs (hardware store, $4 or so)
4) 1' x 1' of 1/4" hardboard, or similar light-weight material for foot pedals (hardware store)
5) 2' x 2' of 3/4" particleboard panel for base (hardware store)

Tools:
1) Small skill-saw (a jig saw or even hand saw will suffice, OR if your hardware store is good they will cut the panels for you)
2) Flat-head screwdriver
3) Time: about 30 minutes




#1 - Prep Work



First, with a screwdriver or similar, pull off all the keys from your dusty-old keyboard and bin them.  Be sure to save a handful; you'll need to reattach them later.



Determine how many pedals you want (I went with three) and for each, cut your 1/4" hardboard into a 2" x 5" piece.



Select one spring per foot pedal, of the appropriate height and tension (I found that springs are technically not even necessary, but I like the feel of them, so use a light-weight spring, your foot will thank you!)




#2 - Tape It



I began by selecting which keys I would reattach - this was mainly a space issue - and I understood that whatever key I selected, I would re-map it later, to the desired ability.

Then, I dry-fit everything together.  When I was happy with the action of the foot pedal, I began taping with the hardboard.  Tape, liberally, both sides of the foot pedal, so that it rests in the desired position.


You can see in the picture above: duct-tape on both sides of the pedal.  Then, I used small strips of tape, slid it into the spring as far down as I could manage, and I fastened the spring in place.  Notice the pencil mark on the right-side of the picture: I used pencil to mark everything during my dry-fit.  This is crucial: one mis-tape, and you've got to start over.





#3 - The Final Steps



The picture above shows the rested action of my first foot pedal.  No need to tape the spring to the pedal, as long as the spring is fastened down to the board, it's not going anywhere.  The feel of this pedal is surprisingly natural and smooth (aside from the loud click of the keyboard button).



This image illustrates all the components of the finished product.  You will notice the pencil marks again, which now are not necessary, as I butt the keyboard tray directly to the springs.  I only need to secure the tray into place, again using more duct tape.




#4 - Finished Product


Now all that's left to do is plug it in and assign the keys to the desired abilities.

Ghetto?  Heck no!  When was the last time that you had company over and they crawled under your office desk to make sure all was tidy?  I promise you -

no one will ever see this or know it is there, except for you.  So who cares if it's duct-taped all to hell??

3 comments:

  1. Now that's dedication to gaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you used it? What do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graz - it works really well! So far...

    Left Foot = autorun
    Middle = ??
    Right Foot = ventrilo xmit

    Other than the loud *click* you get with a cheap keyboard, it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete